Imo State House of Assembly,
House of Assembly Complex
C/o Clerk of the House
A Call For Governor Rochas Okorocha’s Impeachement
The Youths for Human Rights Protection and Transparency Initiative (YARPTI) is sad to note that In the midst of abundant human and natural resources, the vast majority of Imo working masses and the youths live in abject poverty. It is no secret to us that the politician responsible for this embarrassing state of absurdity in Imo State is the “profit first” capitalist anti-poor, anti-peoples Governor of Imo State Chief Rochas Okorocha.
YARPTI is sad that despite enormous human and material potentials, Imolites’ crisis of poverty in the midst of plenty continues apace. Vicious attacks on living conditions, wages and social services have reduced the mass majority to a state of perpetual misery. According to statistics, about 70% of Ndi-Imo exists on less than one dollar per day. The capitalist anti-poor, anti-peoples Governor of Imo State (Owelle Rochas ) continues to loot the collective wealth of Imo without remorse.
YARPTI is calling on the Imo House of Assembly to impeach the Governor of Imo State immediately for financial recklessness and profligacy as well as abuse of executive powers which has made him unfit to serve as the number 1 citizen of the state. We are not motivated by malice, spite, pecuniary interest or promise thereof, nor are we propelled by any desire for public office.
Since his election as Governor , Okorocha has embarked on a mission to undermine the Constitution of Nigeria while attacking the freedom and liberties of the people of Imo State. The evidence of Okorocha’s financial recklessness, profligacy and anti poor policies are impossible to ignore. So we are demanding that the duly elected members of the Imo House of Assembly should take immediate action to remove him from office in order to prevent him from doing further harm to Imo with the following reasons:
- The failure of Governor Okorocha to pay salaries of Imo civil servants and pensioners who constitute less than 2 per cent of the population of the state, shows a total failure of governance and profligacy on his part
- The monthly allocations from the Federation account is more than enough to meet the basic governance obligations of the states, because it is far above the monthly wage bill of the states. It is also more than enough to meet the cost of maintaining basic utility infrastructures of the states so why can’t Okorocha pay salaries and pensions in Imo.
- He should be impeached for callous, inhuman and malicious persecution of civil servants and pensioners alike, and the undermining of their dignity of human person, on a scale and in a proportion, that amounts to depraved cruelty with malice afore thought.
- The reason Okorocha can no longer pay salaries of workers in Imo is because he has been diverting public funds to his private estates.
- He has displayed gross incompetence and incapacity to discharge the functions of his office.
- Governor Okorocha cannot remain in office even when his administration is unable to meet the basic obligations of government, which is payment of the salaries of its workers. Imo civil servant are owed 9 months salaries, some 6 months and 4 months while pensioners have not been paid for 18 months yet, the Governor and his hangers-on continue to live ostentatious lifestyles and build estates around the world
- His policies are geared and are being pursued solely for the purpose of enriching himself, his immediate families, in-laws and his cronies, whilst impoverishing the generality of the people of Imo who look up to him for their welfare.
- Okorocha squandered all the huge monthly allocations of the 27 local Government areas in Imo State since May 2011 till date that is well above N132 billion. What has been done with these funds that he could not pay salaries and pension
- He looted over N16 billion 13% (derivation) allocated to Imo State Oil producing Areas Dev. Commission (ISOPADEC) since May 2011 till date
- Okorocha has astronomical increase personal income taxes when there are no jobs and the policies of government are unfriendly to private sector economic activities and hostile to the self-employed
- He destroyed people’s houses and business premises without due compensation
- He forcefully acquired Government and individual properties
- In Imo today only person fit for sensitive contracts, appointments and Government patronage are the Okorochas, the Nwosus (his in-laws from wife’s side), another Nwosu has joined through the acquisition of Owelle Rochas Okorocha’s daughter.
- He has not explained to Imo people about Joseph Dino of Jpros Limited and Imo tax payers N1.3 billion naira
- He siphoned and defrauded Imolites N3.5 billion through Mr. Jos Marin Lopez-Pepe and his company Hommipreses a poor artisan company based in Spain.
- He connived with contractors to defraud Imo taxpayers of over 10 billion Naira with his sham rural road projects
- He has put Imolites into bondage by secretly borrowing money from banks in Nigeria and abroad
- Impoverishing Imolites by doing all the contracts alone through his surrogates
- He could not conduct council election since 2011 and cannot account for the following local government council funds
- Aboh Mbaise LGA’s 5,592,914,085.45 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Ahiazu Mbaise LG’s 4,893,694,597.34 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Ehime Mbano LGA’s 4,725,559,182.63 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Ezinihitte LGA’s 4,997,483,173.94 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Ideato North LGA’s 5,093,265,185.62 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Ideato South LGA 5,012,503,586.88 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Ihitte Uboma LGA 4,626,105,741.15 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Ikeduru LGA 4,995,560,424.90 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Isiala Mbano LGA 5,577,420,777.89 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Isu LGA 5,011,558,318.56 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Mbaitoli LGA 5,900,278,353.78 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Ngor /Okpala LGA 5,182,836,304.63 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Njaba LGA 4,819,954,493.86 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Nwangele LGA 4,659,850,212.82 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Nkwerre LGA 4,085,707,232.35 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Obowo LGA 4,462,812,258.27 billion naira funds from May 2011 – December 2014
- Oguta LGA 5,014,875,269.83 billion naira funds
- Ohaji/Egbema LGA 5,373,005,346.51 billion naira funds
- Okigwe LGA 4,804,445,947.19 billion naira funds
- Onuimo LGA 4,371,098,781.40 billion naira funds
- Orlu LGA 4,759,790,822.05 billion naira funds
- Orsu LGA 4,547,088,244.85 billion naira funds
- Oru East LGA 4,706,100,105.04 billion naira funds
- Oru West LGA 4,646,145,112.23 billion naira funds
- Owerri Municipal LGA 4,622,099,470.68 billion naira funds
- Owerri North LGA 5,103,710,965.71 billion naira funds
- Owerri West LGA 4,782,559,065.16 billion naira funds
- Since Mr. Governor has consistently shown that he has no regard for our Constitution and our democracy, it has become imperative and pertinent to remind Mr. Governor that: sovereignty belongs to the people
YARPTI is calling on the Imo House of Assembly to as a matter of urgency redeem themselves by giving effect to the provisions of the Nigerian Constitution that empowers them to investigate and bring to justice a state governor
President Youths for Human Rights Protection and Transparency Initiative (YARPTI)