(The Communiqué of the meeting of the Igbo National Council (INC) held in Awka Anambra State on Sunday, March 3, 2013)
The meeting which was attended by many Igbo activists, politicians, businessmen/women, professionals etc. centered its deliberations on the way forward to resolve the many contradictions hindering the political, economic and socio-cultural growth of the Igbo Race.
The Council critically analyzed the State of the Nation and unanimously agreed that challenges facing the Nigeria today are by-product of the age long unholy conspiracies against Ndigbo by the different ethnic groups and political blocs, as orchestrated by the various leaderships in the country. The Council also reiterated that the causes of the Nigeria’s problems are corruption, and ineptitude in leadership.
In addition to the above, the Council vehemently makes the following demands:
1. The Council regrets the inability of the authorities of the Nigeria security operatives to unravel the complicity in the killing and dumping of corpses in Ezu River located at the border of Anambra and Enugu states respectively. The Council states that the killing and dumping of forty corpses in Eze River is a clear indication that the secret plan to wipe out the Igbo Race in Nigeria through genocide and extra-judicial killing is still on-going.
In view of the above, we call on the Federal Government of Nigeria to immediately set-up a Judicial Panel of Enquiry to look into the immediate and remote cause of the killing and dumping of over forty corpses in the Ezu River and also the prosecute those find culpable in the dastard act.
The Council also demand the instant resignation of the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Mohammed Abubakar, the Anambra State Commissioner of Police and the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of Awka North Local Government Area.
2. The Council called for the immediate dismantling of all military and police check points in South-East and South-South geopolitical zones of Nigeria and replace them with patrol teams except at interstate borders and security flash points. This is imperative because them converted such check points into toll gates thereby extorting money from motorist and causing hardship to people plighting the roads. We note that the primary duties of the security operatives are to provide security and protection to people and not to exploit, harass and intimidate the people they are meant to protect.
3. The Council therefore call on the government of Igbo States to wake-up to the realities and challenges of the time by creating jobs and employment opportunities as a panacea to curbing crimes and other social vices in our society.
4. The Council supports the call to grant full autonomy to the Local Government Council system in Nigeria. To this end, the Council call on the State Governments in Ala Igbo that have no democratic Local Government Council to quickly conduct Local Government Council election into such councils before the end of 2013.
5. Finally, the Council constituted a Three-Man Political Committee on the Anambra State Gubernatorial Elections scheduled to hold by last quarter of 2013. This is in a bid to mobilize the people and ensure the emergence of “PEOPLES” Governor that will be genuinely committed to the course of realizing the Igbo Dream. Members of the committee are: 1). Hon. Tony Uche Ezekwelu – Chairman, 2). Mr. Ikechukwu Onyia – Secretary, 3). Mr. Chinedum Omiegbu – Member.
Comrade Zulu Ofoelu